Recipe modified from www.anewyorkfoodie.com
Serves 4-6 – about $2-3 a serving!
- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice (save about 1 cup to add as garnish)
- 4 cups bell peppers, chopped (save some for garnish) – $6 Tutti Frutti Farms
- 1 medium onion, chopped – $.60
- 1 (32 oz.) container of vegetable or chicken broth (have some extra handy in case it becomes too thick) – $2
- 2 (8 oz.) cans of tomato sauce – $2
- 2 (15 oz.) cans of chopped tomatoes (drained) –$2
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram or oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To a large Dutch oven over medium low heat, add oil and sauté the peppers and onions until they start to get soft, about 7-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and continue to cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the soup to reduce a little bit. If it becomes too thick, just add a bit more broth, a little at a time until you get the desired consistency. Add in all but one cup of the rice and mix well. Heat through. Serve, garnish, and enjoy!